Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Masticatory Mucosa

We just learned about the Oral Mucosa.

Another part of the skin in the mouth is the Masticatory Mucosa.

This is the part of the wet mouth skin called gingiva that is on the roof of the mouth, and the top of the tongue.
The skin on these parts of the mouth is called keratinized stratified squamous epithelium.
That is a lot of big words that mean flattened skin with a lot of layers, that isn't loose and saggy.

It is different than other skin like underneath the tongue that is very loose.

(from: wikipedia - hard palate)

Kid Facts - Blast from the past: Radioulnar Ligaments